Friday, September 23, 2011

Miles to go...

Five courses, an internship and then some. That is my semester. It wouldn’t be my life if I weren’t doing a bit too much and trying to do it reasonable well. This is my last year in seminary, so I might as well go for it.  Without a doubt, the semester has gotten on its way while I have been moving at a brisk, quad-burning yet manageable pace beside it.  Even as I write this blog over a much needed double-espresso macchiato at Nina’s just before heading in to my internship site at Dayton Avenue Presbyterian, I’m in the cool down phase of my week.  I’m taking inventory of the past twelve days wondering if the pace I’ve established is one that I can maintain until Christmas. Or will it pick up a bit? I hope it doesn’t but of course it will. 
Happily, I have managed to get to bed at a decent hour every night since this semester began with the exception of last night. This morning my alarm fired off sirens and my body reacted in a protest of paralysis.  It was six-thirty and I needed to post my interpretation and reflections on Genesis 2:4b-24.  I subordinated the warring members of body into conformity with my plans and dragged my aching eyes and murmuring abdomen to the shower and remained there until everyone agreed: we are going to write that essay before breakfast!  And so we did.
In addition to learning, this semester will be full of teaching. I am a teaching assistant in historical theology, running one more lap around a mountain range of classical Christian thought, more confident and curious this time than the last.  My internship director is brave enough to loose me among his sheep with Ecclesiastes in hand for adult education.  Another venturesome spirit has agreed to extend my Older Testament exegesis course to engage a group of young emerging church leaders attending Kwanzaa Presbyterian Church on the north side of town.
I am fortunate to have the diversity of these experiences available to me as I make decisions about my future in ministry and academics.  It helps to have several great pastors and professors coach me with their wisdom and expertise with a spirit of generosity. With so much support and encouragement (and a little more sleep!)  I am sure I can keep up the pace. But I think I need another shot before I go.

- Jermaine Ross, MDiv student

No comments:

Post a Comment