Monday, April 9, 2012

Caution: Deconstruction in Process

We were warned.  Last fall during the new student orientation, we were told that during seminary we will be going through a process called deconstruction.  This is how I understand it: It is a process where our theology and faith will be stretched, poked, torn apart and thrown against the wall, broken into pieces and left on the ground. (ok, maybe I’m being a bit dramatic)  After this happens, then reconstruction takes its place.  This, I have heard, is where we, the students, will slowly walk out to where our pieces have been scattered, pick them up one by one and then attempt to put them back together resulting in a cohesive theology.  Hard to believe, you say? Nah, all in the lifecycle of a seminarian.

It is now the middle of my second semester and the deconstruction process is well underway. I feel like I’ve been poked, pulled, and torn apart and this is just the beginning.  I have been learning things that have shaken my identity as a Christian, struggling with concepts that affect the very foundation of my faith, and engaging in discussions that often times gracefully nurture and deeply challenge my spirit simultaneously.  However, I am having the time of my life, seriously.  Even though the process sounds utterly devastating. . .and it is, it is happening in a community where the process is coupled with an outpouring of support coming from professors and students alike.  As I journey through this semester, I know I am in good company and rely on the interaction I receive when I am on campus.

To update you, the courses I am taking are, New Testament Texts in Context, American Religious Histories, and the second of the integrative theology courses that consists of volunteering in a community setting as well as class hours commonly known as “IS 152.”  Needless to say, I am a busy bee this spring.  I still have the challenge of balancing my family life with UTS and know that it is ongoing and sometimes takes more patience than I expect.  Pulling myself together after an intense day of classes is not always a smooth transition.  The contrast from the seminary classroom to being the mom of two growing boys sometimes requires more patience than I think I have.   

All in all, I am struck with all the different points of view that I am exposed to at UTS and grateful for this unique experience.  For now, I am content with being deconstructed and not yet ready to begin reconstructing anytime soon.

Peace be with you.

- Sarah Kronkvist, MARL student

No comments:

Post a Comment